If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (503) 283-3658

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

10 Ways To Prevent a House Fire In Your Portland Home

1/10/2019 (Permalink)

If your family has suffered a fire loss, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of NW Portland immediately to learn more about how we can help.

Your home is a sacred space. It a place to raise a family, entertain guest and create lifelong memories. The idea of this special place ever befalling a house fire is frightening.

Life is unpredictable, and it is not always possible to know the future, but there are ways that you, as a homeowner, can be proactive to prevent a house fire in your home.

10 Ways to Prevent a House Fire in Your Portland Home

  1. Check smoke alarms frequently – According to the US Fire Administration, your smoke alarms should be tested at least once a month and your batteries should be replaced at least twice a year. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  2. Inspect all sources of heat - Whether it is a central heating system, a wood stove or a space heater, all sources of heat in your home should be checked annually by a professional.
  3. Keep oven and stove top clean and free of debris - A dirty stove can be a fire hazard. The bits of food a debris left behind after you last dinner party can result in disaster if left unchecked. Always keep your cooking area clean and free from potentially flammable materials (oven gloves, plastic utensils, paper towels, etc.)
  4. Do not leave kitchen unattended - It only takes a few seconds for a fire to start. If you need to leave the kitchen, turn off the stove first. A house fire is not worth a few seconds of saved time.
  5. Maintain your clothes dryer - Most dryers should be thoroughly inspected on an annual basis. Dryer hoses can become inundated with flammable lint and should be professionally cleaned at least once a year. Additionally, always keep the lint trap cleaned out and make sure no extra lint or clothing items have become trapped behind your dryer.
  6. Keep electrical cords maintained – Electrical cords can become a fire hazard when they become old and frayed. Always inspect power cords prior to plugging them into a power source.
  7. Store flammable materials safely – Certain household and cosmetic items can become a fire hazard when stored near a heat source such as a space heater or exposed to a hot hair dryer. Use caution when storing these items.
  8. Use candles safely – Although candles are lovely, they can quickly turn disastrous if left unchecked. Make sure to extinguish candles before leaving a room or drifting off to sleep. Always keep your pets away from burning candles.
  9. Use caution when using your fireplace - Do not allow any sparks to escape into the rest of your home. Make sure there is a properly functioning door between the flames and your flooring. A fire should never be left unattended and should be OUT prior to leaving your home for an outing. Additionally, ashes should be disposed of in a metal receptacle designed for that purpose.
  10. Keep fire extinguishers maintained and available – Fire extinguishers are your best defense in the event of an accidental fire. There should be a fire extinguisher available in every room where fire is a potential hazards, particularly in the kitchen and garage. Additionally, all residents of the home should be properly trained on how to operate fire extinguisher.

Fire safety is EVERYBODY’S Job. Losing everything to a house fire is one of the most devastating events that can happen to a family. Your home is filled with lifelong precious memories. You owe to yourself and your family to protect it to the best of your ability.

If your family has suffered a fire loss, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of NW Portland immediately to learn more about how we can help with the process of restoration. We see this on a daily basis. We have the tools, knowledge and highly trained IICRC certified staff to navigate your through the process of recovery. 503-283-3658

Other News

View Recent Posts