Securing your property after a flood event
While it’s less common to experience flood damage in your home or business in Oregon and Southwest Washington, there is still a risk that it could happen on your property. If you ever experience flood damage, there are action steps you can take to protect your property before a restoration professional like SERVPRO of Northwest Portland responds.
Secure the Property:
- Contact local emergency officials, if the flood is a large weather event.
- Secure main entrances to the building.
- Alert your security company and alarm company of the situation.
Stabilize the Property:
- Open basement or low-level windows to equalize water pressure on the building’s foundation and walls.
- Begin water damage mitigation steps only if local emergency officials deem the structure safe to enter.
- Notify your insurance agent or Risk Manager to determine insurance policy guidelines and steps to take.
If you want to look up the flood risk map for your property, visit FEMA.gov to see their breakdown of your area. If you do sustain flood damage in your property, make sure to call SERVPRO of Northwest Portland at 503-283-3658 as soon as possible.