Portland's Soot & Fire Remediation Specialists
Following a structure fire, much of the damage caused by smoke and soot is not immediately detectable and can remain hidden inside the walls and in cracks and crevices throughout the building. The crew at SERVPRO of NW Portland has the training and expertise to methodically investigate and appraise the contamination and develop and effective and efficient remediation strategy.
Smoke and soot residue:
- Sweltering smoke tends to transmigrate to cooler areas and rises to the top of the building.
- Smoke will infiltrate into plumbing systems, moving from floor to floor indiscriminately through conduits and ducts throughout the walls of the structure.
- Different categories of smoke can influence the cleaning and rehabilitation process.
Categories of Smoke
Generally speaking, smoke will either fall under two categories; wet or dry. Consequently, there are different categories of soot residue following a structure fire. Prior to commencement, SERVPRO of NW Portland will perform an analysis on the soot residue to ascertain the category of smoke damage in the home. A specific cleaning plan will then be developed utilizing the data collected during pretesting. Some additional information regarding smoke residue:
Wet smoke – oil based compounds (plastics/ rubber)
- Lower heat, prone to smoldering, foul smelling, glutinous and tacky, waxy. Wet smoke can create “smoke webs” which are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – organic materials (paper/ wood)
- Burns quickly at high temperatures. Heat rises and consequently, so does smoke.
Protein Fire Residue – Caused by evaporation of materials as a result of the fire’s heat
- Practically invisible. Causes discoloration of painted and finished surfaces. Intense pungent stench.
Our Fire Restoration Services
Due to the variances and unpredictable nature of a structure fire, each situation demands a particular solution and course of action to accommodate that particular scenario. SERVPRO of NW Portland stands at the forefront of the fire restoration service industry in terms of time honored expertise and experience as well as state of the art remediation equipment. You and your family will be treated with empathy and respect throughout the entire process and your property will be treated with the utmost regard.
Additional questions regarding Fire, smoke & soot damage? We would be happy to talk with you!
Call SERVPRO of NW Portland Today – 503-283-3658