After Storm Tips
Spring is in the air! After the long, grey and dreary winter, those of us in the Portland area welcome this time of year with open arms. As the sun starts to peak its head around the corner, many northwest residents start their gardens and begin to make plans to get out in the much anticipated sunshine. Although we are finally seeing a bit more blue sky, we are not quite in the clear just yet. Spring often brings some severe wet weather and flash flooding mixed in with the sunshine. Spring storms can sometimes prove to be the most severe in terms of rainfall for some Portland area residents. Knock on wood, but it is very seldom that we get through the spring without at least ONE major rainstorm. After the storm, it’s important to know what to do, as well as what not to do. We’ve put together a few tips that you and your family can use in the event of a spring flood.
- Photograph The Damage. You can never take too many photos. Your insurance company will thank you and you will have a much easier time with your claim if you have good photos.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider. As soon as you have gathered preliminary information, you should contact your home insurance provider. In the event that your vehicle has suffered damage, contact your auto insurance provider.
- Safety First. Be mindful of fallen power lines and take care not to come in contact with electrically charged water.
- Inspect Plumbing. Turn of your water main if necessary. Contact a trusted plumbing contractor if you discover plumbing damage.
- Disconnect electrical appliances that have come in contact with water. Turn off main power at the power source. Contact a electrician if you discover damaged electrical wires.
- Inspect your roof. Heavy rains and wind may have dislodged some of your roofing. If you discover any damage, contact a roofing contractor.
- Contact SERVPRO of NW Portland. If the storm has resulted in flooding, call SERVPRO of NW Portland immediately to start the water remediation process. Secondary water damage can occur in as little as 24 hours.
- DO NOT attempt to remove fallen trees yourself. Contact a reputable arborist if the tree is on your property or the appropriate municipality if it has fallen across public lands or roads.
- Always work with trustworthy local service providers. Unfortunately, there are some companies that attempt to take advantage of storm events. Always obtain a written contract that outlines the service expectations and a breakdown of costs.
SERVPRO of Northwest Portland specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a storm event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. If storm damage strikes your home, trust the damage restoration industry leader. 503-283-3658