Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
- Photograph The Damage. You can never take too many photos.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider. As soon as you have gathered preliminary information, you should contact your home insurance provider.
- Safety First. Be mindful to come in contact with electrically charged water. Use caution around slippery wet surfaces. Avoid contact with stagnant or contaminated water.
- Inspect Plumbing. Turn of your water main if necessary. Contact a trusted plumbing contractor if you discover plumbing damage.
- Disconnect electrical appliances that have come in contact with water. Turn off main power at the power source. Contact an electrician if you discover damaged electrical wires.
- Contact SERVPRO of Northwest Portland immediately to start the water remediation process. Secondary water damage can occur in as little as 24 hours.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (503) 283-3658
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 hour service
We work with your insurance.
For a stress free claims process, SERVPRO can help manage the insurance paperwork and process. Call for details.
Excellent service, quality care and results. Highly recommend! ! !
Anna P in Lake Oswego
More Water Damage-Related Reviews
before & after photos
Sewage Back up In Portland Nursing Home
This nursing home contacted us after there was a category 3 water disaster at their facilities. W...
More Before & After Photos
Portland Homeowners: 5 tips to prevent c...
A frozen pipe bursting is a terrible ordeal to come home to, but did you know your pipe could still...
Read More »
More Water Damage-Related Blog Posts